The Department of Neurobiology and Behavior (NB&B) was one of the very first departments to combine the study of animal behavior with its neural basis, based on the belief that the interface between them was one of great research potential. The interests of our faculty and students span all levels of organization, from single neurons to complex circuits to whole organisms and societies thereof.
Recent NBB Publications
- Christopher M. Jernigan, Natalie C. Zaba, Michael J. Sheehan: Age and social experience induced plasticity across brain regions of the paper wasp Polistes fuscatus. BIOLOGY LETTERS. 14 April 2021. doi.org/10.1098/rsbl.2021.0073
- Frank R. Castelli, Mark A. Sarvary: Why students do not turn on their video cameras during online classes and an equitable and inclusive plan to encourage them to do so.
Ecology and Evolution (2021). doi.org/10.1002/ece3.7123
- Jay A. Stafstrom, Gil Menda, Eyal I. Nitzany, Eileen A. Hebets, Ronald R. Hoy: Ogre-Faced, Net-Casting Spiders Use Auditory Cues to Detect Airborne Prey. Current Biology (2020). doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2020.09.048
- Ruidong Chen, Jesse H. Goldberg: Actor-critic reinforcement learning in the songbird. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2020 Sep 5;65:1-9. doi: 10.1016/j.conb.2020.08.005
- Sara E. Miller, Andrew W. Legan, Michael T. Henshaw, Katherine L. Ostevik, Kieran Samuk, Floria M. K. Uy, Michael J. Sheehan: Evolutionary dynamics of recent selection on cognitive abilities. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020 Feb 11;117(6):3045-3052. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1918592117.
- Changwoo Seo, Akash Guru, Michelle Jin, Brendan Ito, Brianna J. Sleezer, Yi-Yun Ho, Elias Wang, Christina Boada, Nicholas A. Krupa, Durgaprasad S. Kullakanda, Cynthia X. Shen, Melissa Warden: Intense threat switches dorsal raphe serotonin neurons to a paradoxical operational mode. Science. 2019 Feb 1;363(6426):538-542.
- Thomas Seeley: Honey bee sociometry: tracking honey bee colonies and their nest contents from colony founding until death. Insectes Sociaux: 1-11.:
- Thomas Seeley: The behavioral regulation of thirst, water collection and water storage in honey bee colonies. Journal of Experimental Biology 2016 219: 2156-2165; doi: 10.1242/jeb.139824
- Robert Raguso: Olfaction in context - sources of nuance in plant-pollinator communication. COIS 2016, 15:53-60.
- Carl Hopkins: A new genus of electric fish from Gabon with two new species.
Click here for article.
- Robert Raguso: Disentangling visual and olfactory signals in mushroom-mimicking Dracula orchids using realistic three-dimensional printed flowers. New Phytologist.
NBB Graduate Student Research Fund
Alumni and Faculty have teamed up to establish an endowment that will have a lasting impact on graduate student research in Neurobiology and Behavior. This endowment generates funds devoted exclusively to supporting our in-house program of Research Grants for graduate students, and we need your help to grow it.